BERGIN'S CHOCOLATE TIRAMISU
Mary presented this recipe while she was guest chef on
"Baker's Dozen," on the Food TV Network.
First, you need to make a chocolate chiffon cake, then a
chocolate mascarpone creme. She likes to use parfait or
Pilsner glasses for this dessert. It serves 12.
Step 1: Make the Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- GRANULATED SUGAR, 1-1/2 cups
- FLOUR, All-Purpose, 1 cup
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, 3/4 cup
- BAKING POWDER, 2 teaspoons
- BAKING SODA, 1 teaspoon
- SALT, 1/4 teaspoon
- EGGS, 4 separated
- EGG WHITES, 2
- VEGETABLE OIL, 3/4 cup
- WATER, 1/2 cup
- VANILLA EXTRACT, 1 teaspoon
- Sift together l cup sugar, the flour, cocoa, baking
powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, with paddle
or beaters, beat the egg yolks at high speed.
- Turn speed to low and pour in the oil, water and
- Gradually add the sifted ingredients, and when almost
incorporated, turn speed to medium, and beat until
- Remove bowl from machine.
- In another clean large bowl, with whip or beaters,
whip the 6 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Start on medium speed and raise speed as peaks begin
- Gradually pour in the remaining l/2 cup sugar and
whip until whites are shiny and firm but not stiff.
- With a rubber spatula, fold l/4 of the whites into
the chocolate mixture, then scrape the chocolate
mixture back into the whites, quickly folding until
- Scrape the mixture into a greased and floured
half-sheet pan and bake until edges of the cake pull
away from the pan and a tester, gently inserted into
the cake, comes out clean.
Step 2: Chocolate Mascarpone Cream
- MASCARPONE CHEESE, 21 ounces
- MILK CHOCOLATE, 11-1/2 ounces, cut into small pieces
- EGGS, 8 separated
- GRANULATED SUGAR, 1/2 cup
- KAHLUA, 2 tablespoons
- RUM, 2 tablespoons
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, sifted, for decoration
- MILK CHOCOLATE, about 1/4 cup coarsely grated, for
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, using paddle
or beaters, beat the mascarpone until fluffy,
scraping down the sides of the bowl and under the
beaters as necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, set over simmering
water, melt the chocolate. Set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl, set over simmering water,
whisk the egg yolks with l/4 cup sugar until sugar
dissolved and mixture is hot to the touch.
- Remove from yolks from heat and scrape into the
- On medium speed, beat just until combined.
- Lower speed, add the melted chocolate, and mix well.
- In a large bowl of the electric mixer, using the whip
attachment, whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add the remaining l/4 cup sugar and continue to beat
until shiny and firm but not stiff.
- Fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Stir in the Kahlua and rum.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Step 3: Make the Soaking Liquid
- ESPRESSO COFFEE, decaffeinated or regular, 4 cups
- WATER, 1-1/4 cups
- SUGAR, 1 cup
- KAHLUA, 3 tablespoons
- RUM, 3 tablespoons
- In a small pot, combine all of the ingredients, bring
to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
Step 4: Assemble the Tiramisu
- Place all of the glasses on a flat work surface.
- Cut out cake circles that will fit into the size
glass you're using.
- Using a ladle, place a small amount of Mascarpone
cream in the glass, dip a cake circle in the soaking
liquid (squeeze out any excess) and place on top of
- Ladle more cream on top of the circle, place another
soaked circle of cake and finish with a layer of
- Repeat this with all of the glasses.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or until set.
- Decorate with grated milk chocolate and sifted cocoa.
This recipe was brought to you by Tiramisu - Heaven In Your Mouth and Food TV
The recipe on this page
was given to us or was found on the net, a newsgroups or
on a product's packaging. If any of the recipes on these
pages are yours or if you think I may get in trouble for
using them, then please email me and I will give you
credit where credit is due.
about this site should be sent to email@example.com.